White Rose University Consortium logo
University of Leeds logo University of Sheffield logo York University logo

Gauging Stakeholders Perceptions on Policy Shifts in the Financing of Tertiary Education at the University of the West Indies - Cave Hill Campus, Barbados

BEST, KAREN I (2019) Gauging Stakeholders Perceptions on Policy Shifts in the Financing of Tertiary Education at the University of the West Indies - Cave Hill Campus, Barbados. EdD thesis, University of Sheffield.

[img]
Preview
Text (Thesis on funding of Tertiary Education. A case study of the UWI - Cave Hill Campus, Barbados)
Sheffield Thesis.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales.

Download (1850Kb) | Preview

Abstract

ABSTRACT My study sought to gauge stakeholders’ perceptions of policy shifts in the financing of tertiary education at the University of the West Indies - Cave Hill Campus, Barbados. The financing of tertiary education in Barbados has been borne by the government since 1966 with zero cost to the student. In September 2014, the government of Barbados introduced a 20% tuition fee paid by the student with the government paying the remaining 80% of the economic cost. The study employed individual and focus group interviews to determine the perceptions of the various categories of stakeholders on financing tertiary education at the University of the West Indies (UWI) Barbados. The research also documented the views of the stakeholders on alternative models of financing tertiary education for the university. The findings indicate that the stakeholders felt that the public financing of tertiary education resulted in the political, social and national development of the country while it also contributed to the increase in public expenditure. In response to the change in public funding, the participants felt that the new model could reduce the public expenditure but it could also have the potential to reduce the access to persons from the lower socio-economic strata. The stakeholders suggested alternative models with the mixed model of financing being the one most supported. Finally, based on the data emerging from the study, there is a need for a larger and more detailed evaluation of the current model of financing tertiary education because of its impact on access, sustainable financing for tertiary education and further research.

Item Type: Thesis (EdD)
Academic Units: The University of Sheffield > Faculty of Social Sciences (Sheffield) > School of Education (Sheffield)
Identification Number/EthosID: uk.bl.ethos.808682
Depositing User: MRS KAREN I BEST
Date Deposited: 19 Jun 2020 16:17
Last Modified: 01 Aug 2020 09:53
URI: http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/id/eprint/27119

You do not need to contact us to get a copy of this thesis. Please use the 'Download' link(s) above to get a copy.
You can contact us about this thesis. If you need to make a general enquiry, please see the Contact us page.

Actions (repository staff only: login required)